China Center for Economic Research
National School of Development
Beijing, 100871, China
Office: (+86) -10-6275-9779
08/2019-present Tenured Associate Professor
National School of Development, Peking University, Beijing, P.R.China
09/2012-present Assistant Professor
National School of Development, Peking University, Beijing, P.R.China
07/2009-12/2011 Post-doc Fellowship
Research School of Economics, College of Business and Economics, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
06/2008-09/2008 Short-term Consultant
World Bank, Sydney Office
04/2004-10/2004 Short-term Consultant
World Bank, Beijing Office
07/2003-07/2005 Assistant Professor
Institute of Population and Labor Economics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, P.R. China
07/2005-12/2009 Ph.D. in Economics
The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Dissertation: Essays on Rural-to-Urban Migration and Its Consequences in Urban China
09/2000-07/2003 M.A. in Economics
Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, P.R.China
09/1996-07/2000 B.A. in Social Sciences
Renmin University of China, Beijing, P.R.China
Undergraduate: Intermediate Econometrics, Labor Economics
Graduate: Advanced Labor Economics
Labor Economics, Applied Econometrics, Experimental Economics
1. “Dynamic Wage Gap between Urban Labor Force and Rural Migrants in Chinese Cities”, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, forthcoming.
2. “China's Sex Ratio and Crime: Behavioural Change or Financial Necessity?” (with Lisa Cameron and Xin Meng), Economic Journal, 2019, Volume 129, 618(1): 790-820.
3. “Gender Differences in Willingness to Compete: The Role of Culture and Institutions” (with Alison Booth, Elliott Fan and Xin Meng), Economic Journal, 2019, Volume 129, 618(1): 734-764.
4. “Measuring TFP of Australian Agriculture Industry with National Account Data: An International Consistent Method” (with Yu Sheng, Tom Jackson and Shiji Zhao), Review of Income and Wealth, 2016, 63(s1): s169-s193.
5. "Input Substitution, Productivity Performance and Farm Size"(with Keith Fuglie, Alistair Davidson and Yu Sheng), Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 2016, 60(3): 327–347.
6. “Coresidency, Ethnicity, and Happiness of China’s Rural Elders” (with Rachal Connelly, Michael Iannotti and Margaret Maurer-Fazio), Eurasian Geography and Economics, 2015, 56 (1):70 – 88.
7. “Education Inequality between Rural and Urban China, Migrants’ Children Education and Some Implications” (with Xin Li and Jinjun Xue), Asian Development Review, 2015, 32(1):1-29.
8. “Energy Trade Efficiency and Its Determinants: A Malmquist Index Approach” (with Yu Sheng, Yanrui Wu and Xunpeng Shi), Energy Economics, 2015, 50:306–314.
9. “Comprehensive Measurement of Energy Market Integration in East Asia: An Application of Dynamic Principal Component Analysis” (with Xunpeng Shi and Yu Sheng), Energy Economics, 2015, 52:299–305.
10. “Public Investment in Agricultural R&D and Extension: An Analysis of the Effects on Australian Broadacre Productivity” (with Chunlai Chen and Yu Sheng), China Agricultural Economic Review, 2015, 7(1):86-101.
11. “Productivity and Farm Size in Australian Agriculture: Reinvestigating the Returns to Scale” (with Yu Sheng, Shiji Zhao and Katarina Nossal), Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 2014 ,59:16–38.
12. “Economic Growth, Regional Disparities and Energy Demand in China—Implication for Energy Market Integration in East Asia” (with Yu Sheng and Xunpeng Shi), Energy Policy, 2014, 71:31-39.
13. “Economic Development, Energy Market Integration and Energy Demand: Implications for East Asia” (with Yu Sheng and Xunpeng Shi), Energy Strategy Review, 2013, 30: 1-7.
14. “A Comparison of Reform-Era Labor Force Participation Rates of China's Ethnic Minorities and Han Majority” (with Margaret Maurer-Fazio and James Hughes), International Journal of Manpower, 2010, 31(2): 138-162.
15. “An Ocean Formed from One Hundred Rivers: The Effects of Ethnicity, Gender, Marriage, and Location on Labor Force Participation in Urban China” (with Margaret Maurer-Fazio and James W. Hughes), Feminist Economics, 2007, 13(34): 125-153.
1. “The Global Financial Crisis and Rural-Urban Migration” (with Xin Meng and Tao Kong), in Ross Garnaut, Ligang Song and Wing Thye Woo (eds), China Update, Brookings Institution Press, 2010, 241-268.
2. “Impact of Economic Slowdown on Migrant Workers” (with Xin Meng and Tao Kong), in Ross Garnaut, Ligang Song and Wing Thye Woo (eds), China Update, Brookings Institution Press, 2009, 233-260.
PUBLICATIONS IN PEER-REVIEWED CHINESE LANGUAGE JOURNALS
1. “Impact of Air Pollution on Labor Productivity: Evidence from A Prison Factory Data” (with Shuai Chen), China Economic Quarterly [经济学季刊], forthcoming.
2. “Role of Government in the Process of Upgrading the Industrial Parks in China” (with Luosha Du and Chi Chen), Macroeconomic Management [宏观经济管理], 2019, 7(427):55-72.
3. “Minimum Wage, Rural Migrants’ Unemployment, and Crime: Evidence from China” (with Lixing Li and Chen Tong), China Economic Quarterly [经济学季刊], 2018, 17(3):1035-1054.
4. “The Determinants of Migrant’s Crime: An Empirical Study Based on a Prison Survey” (with Ye Wang, Xin Meng and Lisa Cameron), China Economic Quarterly [经济学季刊], 2014, 14(1):83-112.
5. “Marketization and Gender Wage Differentials”, Population Science of China [中国人口科学], 2004, 04(1):32-41.
OTHER PUBLICATIONS IN CHINESE
1. “Chapter 5: Rural-to-Urban Migration”, in Yao Yang (eds), Forty Years of Chinese Economics, The Commercial Press, 2018.
2. “3.4 New Perspectives and Applications of New Structural Economics in the Field of Labor Economy, Comments and Q&A for Issues of China's Human Resources Endowment”, in Yifu Lin, Caihui Fu and Yong Wang (eds), What's New in New Structural Economics, Peking University Press, March 2016.
3. “Chapter 9: Gender Differences in Social Integration of Migrants: Wages Integration Model”, in Liqin Zhang, Fenglian Du and Xiaoyuan Dong (eds), Gender and Economic Development: Empirical Research Methods, China Social Sciences Press, May 2012.
4. “Chapters 5, 7 and 9: Green Book on Population and Labor 2002, Report on China's Population and Labor — Problems and Solutions of Urban and Rural Employment”, in Fang Cai, Chewei Zhang and Yang Du (eds), Social Sciences Academic Press (China), 2002.
SELECTED WORKING PAPERS
1. “Parental Absence in Childhood and Migrants' Crime: Evidence from an Individual Prisoner Data in China” (with Lisa Cameron and Xin Meng)
2. “The Intergenerational Behavioural Consequences of a Socio-Political Upheaval” (with Alison Booth, Elliott Fan and Xin Meng), IZA Discussion Paper No. 11991, November 2018
3. “Urban Wage Responses to Rural Migrant Inflow: China, 1990 to 2010” (with Xin Meng and Yu Sheng), the old version is “Labour Market Impact of Large Scale Internal Migration on Chinese Urban ‘Native’ Workers”, IZA Discussion Paper No. 5288, October 2010
4. “Preferred Sons Are ‘Rotten’: Giving to One’s Parents in the Lab in China” (with Maria Porter and Xiaobo Zhang)
5. “Air Pollution and Consumption: Evidence from a Comprehensive Tracking Record of Prisoners” (with Shuai Chen and Min Wang)
6. “Economic Impacts of Central Environmental Inspection” (with Xiaoying Liu, Min Wang, Jintao Xu and Zhou Zou)
7. “A Spatial AutoRegressive Hurdle Model with Group Structure: Application to Peer Effects on Smoking Behavior” (with Guang Zeng)
8. “Social Impact of Rural-to-Urban Migration” (with Xin Meng)
1. “A Study on Rural Migrants’ Crime in China: Pattern, Determinants and Policy Implications”, PI, Natural Science Foundation of China – General Project (No.71973004), 2020-2023. (RMB520,000)
2. “Research on Education and Health of Rural Migrant Children: Based on a Subjective Measure in Human Capital”, PI, Natural Science Foundation of China –Youth Fund Project (No.71403009), 2015-2017. (RMB230,000)
3. “Rural Governance, Left-Behind Children and Its Social Consequences”, PI, sponsored by the Institute of New Rural Development, Peking University, 2018 (RMB 180,000)
4. “Research on the Impact of Population Change on Economic Growth”, PI, sponsored by the National Development and Reform Commission of China, 2015 (RMB 100,000)
5. “Social and Economic Impacts of Rural-to-Urban Migration in China”, PI, sponsored by the Beijing Municipal Government, 2013-2015 (RMB 150,000)
6. Tongshan Education Grant, PI, Peking University, 2012-2013 (RMB 30,000)
7. “Dynamic Wage Gap between Urban Labor Force and Rural Migrants in Chinese Cities”, PI, sponsored by the Poverty and Economic Policy, 2008-2010, (USD 30,000)
HONORS & AWARDS
Mulan Scholar Honorary Title, Peking University, 2018
Bank of Beijing - Teaching Achievement Award, Peking University, 2018
Teaching Achievement Award, Peking University, 2016-2017
Excellent Class Teacher, Peking University, 2016-2017
Teaching Achievement Award for Youth Lecturers, Peking University, 2015
First Prize for Excellent Overseas Students, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, China, 2011