Tenured Associate Professor
Youth Cheung-Kong Scholar
Boya Youth Scholar
National School of Development
Office: (+86) -10-6275-9779
Address: China Center for Economic Research, National School of Development (Chengze Campus), Peking University, Beijing, 100871, China
03/2021-present Tenured Associate Professor (joint)
Institute for Global Health and Development, Peking University, Beijing, P.R.China
08/2019-present Tenured Associate Professor
National School of Development, Peking University, Beijing, P.R.China
09/2012-08/2019 Assistant Professor
National School of Development, Peking University, Beijing, P.R.China
07/2009-12/2011 Post-doc Fellowship
Research School of Economics, College of Business and Economics, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
06/2008-09/2008 Short-term Consultant
World Bank, Sydney Office
04/2004-10/2004 Short-term Consultant
World Bank, Beijing Office
07/2003-07/2005 Assistant Professor
Institute of Population and Labor Economics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, P.R. China
07/2005-12/2009 Ph.D. in Economics
The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Dissertation: Essays on Rural-to-Urban Migration and Its Consequences in Urban China
09/2000-07/2003 M.A. in Economics
Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, P.R.China
09/1996-07/2000 B.A. in Social Sciences
Renmin University of China, Beijing, P.R.China
Undergraduate: Intermediate Econometrics, Labor Economics
Graduate: Advanced Labor Economics, Applied Econometrics
Labor Economics, Applied Econometrics, Experimental Economics, Public Health
1. “Short- and Medium-Term Impacts of Lockdowns on Non-COVID-19 Mortality in China”, Nature Human Behaviour, 2021 forthcoming (with Jinlei Qi, Xiang Zhang, George F. Gao, Guojun He and Maigeng Zhou)
2. “Impact of air pollution on labor productivity: evidence from prison factory data”, China Economic Quarterly International, 2021, 1:148-159 (with Shuai Chen)
3. “The evolution of the wage gap between rural migrants and the urban labour force in Chinese cities”, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 2020, Volume 64, 1:55-81.(8)
4. “China's Sex Ratio and Crime: Behavioural Change or Financial Necessity?” (with Lisa Cameron and Xin Meng), Economic Journal, 2019, Volume 129, 618(1): 790-820. (15)
5. “Gender Differences in Willingness to Compete: The Role of Culture and Institutions” (with Alison Booth, Elliott Fan and Xin Meng), Economic Journal, 2019, Volume 129, 618(1): 734-764. (26)
6. "Measuring TFP of Australian Agriculture Industry with National Account Data: An International Consistent Method" (with Yu Sheng, Tom Jackson, and Shiji Zhao), Review of Income and Wealth, 2016, 63(s1):s169-s193.
7. "Coresidency, Ethnicity, and Happiness of China's Rural Elders" (with Rachal Connelly, Michael Iannotti, and Margaret Maurer-Fazio), Eurasian Geography and Economics, 2015, 56 (1): 70-88.
8. “Education Inequality between Rural and Urban China, Migrants’ Children Education and Some Implications” (with Xin Li and Jinjun Xue), Asian Development Review, 2015, 32(1):1-29. (81)
9. “A Comparison of Reform-Era Labor Force Participation Rates of China's Ethnic Minorities and Han Majority” (with Margaret Maurer-Fazio and James Hughes), International Journal of Manpower, 2010, 31(2): 138-162.
10. “An Ocean Formed from One Hundred Rivers: The Effects of Ethnicity, Gender, Marriage, and Location on Labor Force Participation in Urban China” (with Margaret Maurer-Fazio and James W. Hughes), Feminist Economics, 2007, 13(34): 125-153.
1. “The Global Financial Crisis and Rural-Urban Migration” (with Xin Meng and Tao Kong), in Ross Garnaut, Ligang Song and Wing Thye Woo (eds), China Update, Brookings Institution Press, 2010, 241-268.
2. “Impact of Economic Slowdown on Migrant Workers” (with Xin Meng and Tao Kong), in Ross Garnaut, Ligang Song and Wing Thye Woo (eds), China Update, Brookings Institution Press, 2009, 233-260.
PUBLICATIONS IN PEER-REVIEWED CHINESE-LANGUAGE JOURNALS
1. “Environmental Protection Inspection, Price Fluctuation of Industrial Products and Firm Entry”, at World Economy [世界经济], 2021 forthcoming (with Min Wang and Shuo Li)
2. “The Impact of COVID-19 on the Chinese Labor Market: A Comprehensive Analysis Based on the Individual Tracking Survey”, Economic Research Journal [经济研究], 2021, 2:4-21. (with Fang Cai and Yaxuan Liu)
3. “From ‘Hospital Runs’ to ‘Health Care for All’: The Impact of the Public Health Policy Change”, China Journal of Economics [经济学报], 2021 forthcoming (with Jindi Huang and Chuliang Luo)
4. “Impact of Air Pollution on Labor Productivity: Evidence from A Prison Factory Data”, China Economic Quarterly [经济学季刊], 2020, 19(4):171-190. (with Shuai Chen)
5. “Role of Government in the Process of Upgrading the Industrial Parks in China”, Macroeconomic Management [宏观经济管理], 2019, 7(427):55-72. (with Luosha Du and Chi Chen)
6. “Minimum Wage, Rural Migrants’ Unemployment, and Crime: Evidence from China”, China Economic Quarterly [经济学季刊], 2018, 17(3):1035-1054. (with Lixing Li and Chen Tong)
7. “The Determinants of Migrant’s Crime: An Empirical Study Based on a Prison Survey”, China Economic Quarterly [经济学季刊], 2014, 14(1):83-112. (with Ye Wang, Xin Meng and Lisa Cameron)
8. “Marketization and Gender Wage Differentials”, Population Science of China [中国人口科学], 2004, 04(1):32-41.
OTHER PUBLICATIONS IN CHINESE
1. “Chapter 5: Rural-to-Urban Migration”, in Yao Yang (eds), Forty Years of Chinese Economics, The Commercial Press, 2018.
2. “3.4 New Perspectives and Applications of New Structural Economics in the Field of Labor Economy, Comments and Q&A for Issues of China's Human Resources Endowment”, in Yifu Lin, Caihui Fu and Yong Wang (eds), What's New in New Structural Economics, Peking University Press, March 2016.
3. “Chapter 9: Gender Differences in Social Integration of Migrants: Wages Integration Model”, in Liqin Zhang, Fenglian Du and Xiaoyuan Dong (eds), Gender and Economic Development: Empirical Research Methods, China Social Sciences Press, May 2012.
4. “Chapters 5, 7 and 9: Green Book on Population and Labor 2002, Report on China's Population and Labor — Problems and Solutions of Urban and Rural Employment”, in Fang Cai, Chewei Zhang and Yang Du (eds), Social Sciences Academic Press (China), 2002.
SELECTED WORKING PAPERS
1. “Does being ‘left--behind’ in childhood lead to criminality in adulthood? Evidence from data on rural-urban migrants and prison inmates in China”, under reviewed at European Economic Review, 2021 (with Lisa Cameron and Xin Meng)
2. “The Intergenerational Behavioural Consequences of a Socio-Political Upheaval”, IZA Discussion Paper No. 11991, November 2018 (with Alison Booth, Elliott Fan and Xin Meng)
3. "The Impact of the Covid-19 Labor Market Shock on Teleworkability: Evidence from the Employee Traching Survey in China" (in Chinese), August 2021 (with Yiran Zi and Chuliang Luo)
4. "Income Inequality in the COVID-19 medication: Evidence From Wuhan", August 2021 (with Xiao Liu)
5. "The Unbearable Lightness of Being: Impacts of COVID-19 Pandemic on Suicide Mortality in China", August 2021 (with Guojun He, Xiang Zhang, Jinlei Qi and Maigeng Zhou)
6. “Air Pollution, Worker Productivity and Consumption: Evidence from Prison Labors”, 2021 (with Shuai Chen and Min Wang)
7. “Preferred Sons Are‘Rotten': Giving to One's Parents in the Lab in China”, 2020 (with Maria Porter and Xiaobo Zhang)
8. “Urban Wage Responses to Rural Migrant Inflow: China, 1990 to 2010”, 2018 (with Xin Meng and Yu Sheng)
9. “A Spatial AutoRegressive Hurdle Model with Group Structure: Application to Peer Effects on Smoking Behavior”, 2018 (with Guang Zeng)
10. “The Social Impact of Rural-Urban Migration on Urban ‘Natives’”, 2018 (with Xin Meng)
1. “Migrants’ Crime and Social Security System”, PI, Natural Social Science Foundation of China (No.20AZD086)，2020-2023
2. “COVID-19 Pandemic and Control Measures”，PI, Peking University (No.7100602966), 2020.3-2020.12
3. “A Study on Rural Migrants’ Crime in China: Pattern, Determinants and Policy Implications”, PI, Natural Science Foundation of China – General Project (No.71973004), 2020-2023
4. “Research on Education and Health of Rural Migrant Children: Based on a Subjective Measure in Human Capital”, PI, Natural Science Foundation of China –Youth Fund Project (No.71403009), 2015-2017
5. “Rural Governance, Left-Behind Children and Its Social Consequences”, PI, sponsored by the Institute of New Rural Development, Peking University, 2018
6. “Research on the Impact of Population Change on Economic Growth”, PI, sponsored by the National Development and Reform Commission of China, 2015
7. “Social and Economic Impacts of Rural-to-Urban Migration in China”, PI, sponsored by the Beijing Municipal Government, 2013-2015
8. Tongshan Education Grant, PI, Peking University, 2012-2013
9. “Dynamic Wage Gap between Urban Labor Force and Rural Migrants in Chinese Cities”, PI, sponsored by the Poverty and Economic Policy, 2008-2010
HONORS & AWARDS
Youth Cheung-Kong Scholar, Ministry of Education, 2020
Boya Youth Scholar, Peking University, 2020
Mulan Scholar Honorary Title, Peking University, 2019
Mulan Youth Scholar Honorary Title, Peking University, 2018
Bank of Beijing - Teaching Achievement Award, Peking University, 2018
Teaching Achievement Award, Peking University, 2016-2017
Excellent Class Teacher, Peking University, 2016-2017
Teaching Achievement Award for Youth Lecturers, Peking University, 2015
First Prize for Excellent Overseas Students, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, China, 2011